One of the most important elements of web design is the colour scheme. The colours you choose for your website will be synonymous with your company, and should reflect your company branding and logo. But the colours also need to be practical too, creating a visually appealing background for elements and text, while also ensuring that font is legible and easy to read. There are a number of different colour combinations, in pairs or threes, that can help you create a stunning and functional website. And one of the most popular colour combinations is black and white. So what are the Advantages of monochrome colours in web design? And how can you combine black with white effectively? Well, here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester, we are Manchester’s leading web design professionals. We work with a variety of companies across Manchester, and the North West, including those in Blackburn and Chorley, to provide high quality web design solutions. As a result, we have produced this guide to everything you should know about the benefits of using black and white website colours effectively.
So what are the advantages of monochrome colours in web design?
There are several advantages and benefits to using black and white colour combinations in web design. These include:
- Adding dramatic areas of contrast- black and white are completely contrasting colours. But when used together the effect is never overwhelming. Instead, you can use this contrast to direct users attention to key areas of each web page, to ensure that the maximum amount of information and content is noticed. This is because the visual contrast naturally generates attention from the human eye, trained through evolution to spot small visible differences.
- Great base colours- black and white don’t generally count as colours. And this means that either black or white can be paired well with a range of other colours in the colour spectrum. And together, black and white can be a great base colour for web design, as one other colour can be used to create a three colour triage. Red, blue, green, purple and orange are just some of the colours that can be sued with black and white to create a stunning, impressive website.
- Understated simplicity- a lot of modern web design is focused on the minimalist approach. This means removing any unnecessary features from your website, each screen at a time. And when applied to colours, and colour combinations, monochrome websites are really the most minimal of all. However, just because this design looks simple to achieve (it isnt!), this simplicity leads to an understated professionalism and sophistication across your website.
Using monochrome colours in web design
To make the most of these advantages, you should consider:
- Creating a website with a black background- a black background can create a strong, powerful effect.
- Creating a website with black and white split screen- a split screen design is currently incredibly popular, and dividing the screen between black and white predominant colours can be very visually effective.
For more information or advice, or for high quality, professional web design solutions, get in touch with the experts today, here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester.