Visual content is one of the most important features of any website. From grabbing attention above the fold, to directing users attention to different features and elements as they scroll, visual imagery is one of the most important tools any web designer can use. Illustrated content is one option that can make a real difference to your visual content, and the performance of your company online. Throughout your website and online presence, including social media, branding and advertisements, you might think about using illustrated elements. But are these effective for small businesses? Well, here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester, we are Manchester’s leading web design experts. We work with companies and businesses across Manchester, and the surrounding area, including Wigan and Southport, to provide web design solutions that can help businesses grow. As a result, we have produced this guide to everything you should know about using illustration in web design.
Should small businesses use illustrated features?
One of the biggest pitfalls of using illustration is that it can go out of date quickly. And for this reason, many companies and small businesses stay clear. But this is a mistake. As long as you create illustrated content that matches your company branding, and avoids any web design trends that tend to fall out of favour, the benefits of using illustration in web design can be plentiful. Including:
- Adding character to your website- who wants just another stock photo or image when they could have a specifically created illustration? Your audience don’t want to see just another standard website, they want more. Especially if they are to purchase or sign up. So add illustrated content to really add character and personality to your web design, and increase company profits.
- Supporting your creative side- if your company is involved in creative industries, like music, fashion, printing or art, why not show off some creative flair of your own? This can help to make your website more interesting to customers in these industries, and can help to establish your company as an influential brand.
- Company branding- illustration can be personable and this could be relevant and even necessary for your company branding. All companies are different, and if you don’t want to be another corporate clone, illustration could help you be more personable.
Using illustration in web design for small businesses
So now we know the benefits, let’s talk about how to go about using illustration in web design. Specifically for small businesses, who generally have a more specific, targeted demographic to reach, within a certain area, when compared to a national chain. Well, there are different ways and reasons to use illustration, and this includes:
- explaining- a picture can tell a thousand words, and an illustration, even more
- illustrated icons- don’t use the same stock icons as everyone else, illustrate them and stand out!
For more information or advice about using illustration in web design, or for professional web design support, get in touch with Manchester’s leading web design experts today, here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester.