One of the most important features of any website is the typography. This will help attract attention, allow your titles and headings to stand out, and help ensure that your website is easy to read. But with so many typography styles to choose from, selecting one that meets your design intent, and your company branding can be a challenge. Outline fonts are growing in popularity, and these are incredibly effective for a variety of websites, and companies, with completely different branding strategies. But what are the considerations for using outline fonts in web design? And how can you be sure that your outline font will be effective? Well, here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester, we build websites specifically tailored to the requirements of companies and businesses across Manchester and the North West, including Blackburn and Chorley. We provide the perfect web design solutions for clients in all areas of business and industry. As a result, we have produced this guide to everything you should know about outline fonts and web design.
Using outline fonts in web design
So, how can you use outline fonts effectively? Well, there are some things to consider, including:
- Using this font for just the title or heading
- Choosing an effective colour scheme
- Fill options for the outline font
Using outline fonts for page headings
Page headings help your users understand what each page is all about. Usually positioned above the fold, these page headings will usually be designed to attract attention and intrigue the audience. And that’s exactly what an outline font can do. However, if this is overused throughout the website, the effect will have less of a visual impact. That’s why using this font just to capture attention for key purposes, like headings, is the most effective option.
Outline fonts and web design colours
Typically, outline fonts are very simple in design. And this means that they do not look as visually interesting as script fonts or unique typography, unless they are paired with the perfect design. Colours are a big part of this. The outline colour needs to contrast from the background colour, but there are many ways to achieve this effect. Texture and shadow can also be used to emphasize effects and help your website stand out. When choosing the colours its important that you consider your company branding, as well as your overall design scheme, to ensure a cohesive and stylish effect.
Fill options for outline fonts
One of the most interesting features of outline fonts is the fact that these can be filled in many ingenious and interesting ways. You could consider:
- Using a geometric pattern- this is great for creative companies with minimalist web design
- Combining the text and the background- using the background pattern, image or design to fill the outline text can be very visually striking. Just make sure that the outline of the font contrasts effectively with the background, so that the text is easy to read on all devices and screens.
- Solid block fill- this can be effective for websites with a dark colour scheme and minimalist design, as the outline font is simply filled with block colour, or the background colour.
For more information or advice, or for high quality, professional web design solutions, get in touch with the experts today, here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester.