The hero space on any website is the space that occupies the screen, before the user scrolls down the page. This is also called the above the fold space, a term taken from print media, which would refer to the front of a newspaper when folded in half. Animated content for website hero content can be very effective. But why? Well, here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester, we are Manchester’s leading web design experts. We work with companies and businesses across Manchester, and the surrounding area, including Wigan and Southport, to provide web design solutions that can help businesses grow. As a result, we have produced this guide to everything you should know about using animated imagery for website hero content.
What are the effective options for using animated content for website hero areas?
Animated imagery in web design can be very powerful. And while video content in the hero space, above the fold, has long been popular, using animated imagery instead can help to grab attention and generate interest. But how can you use this effectively? Well, there are a number of things you can consider, including:
- A full animated background- an animated background, with typography, illustration or imagery overlaid on top can be very effective. While the background elements may move around, grabbing attention, your potential customer or client can then focus on the information presented on top of this animation. This can lead to more people following your call to action button, and a potential increase in sales, bookings or sign ups.
- Animated illustration- alternatively, if you are using illustrated elements in your web design, you could opt to illustrate these instead. With a static background, animated illustrated features can direct the eye of the user easily to wherever you need them to look. Whether you want them to scroll down and read your content, or you want them to click the important call to action button, animated illustration can lead your users to this action. You could also use this simply for the visual interest, or to enhance your company branding.
- Animation effects- animation effects like scrolling can be used effectively above the fold to move between different images or screens with an interesting transition that can captivate your website users. This is a good option if you want to show more than one image above the fold, or if you want to use more text content in this hero space without over-filling the screen.
What are the advantages of animated content for the hero space?
There are a number of advantages to using animated imagery in the hero space. These advantages include:
- Establishing a brand identity- whether you company is solemn and serious, or quirky and fun, or somewhere in between, animated effects can help portray this character, and help your website users form a bond with your company.
- Increasing conversions- whether you are looking for an increase in sales, sign ups or bookings, hero content that is animated can be the perfect solution. Attracting attention to call to action buttons, and important text content can help direct user traffic more effectively, and lead to an increase in conversions.
For more information or for professional web design support, get in touch with the experts today, here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester.