Web design at this time of year tends to take a festive turn. From seasonal hero images and pop-ups for Christmas deals and offers, to snow animation and overlay effects, almost every part of your website could be adapted to create a stunning festive theme. And this includes the typography. So what are the different festive typography options for web design? And how can you be sure to use these effectively? Well, here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester, we are Manchester’s leading web design professionals. We work with a variety of companies and businesses across Manchester, and the North West, including those in Blackburn and Chorley, to provide high quality web design solutions. And we have produced this guide to help you choose effective festive typography.
What are the different festive typography options for web design?
Effective options for typography during this season include:
- Calligraphy style handwriting fonts
- Block lettering
- Decorated typography
Calligraphy style fonts for festive themed typography
Christmas is the perfect time of year to go all out. From gifts to food, celebrations to family events, Christmas tends to be the season to go over the top. If you apply this to website typography, it’s easy to see that the typography style with the most intricate designs and complex lettering is the calligraphy style font. This is designed to look like handwriting, which is also a great fit for a season that sees a number of handwritten cards and gifts.
To make sure you use calligraphy font effectively, you should be sure to:
- Check that this is easy to read on all devices. Mobile devices with small screens can make it more difficult to read the intricate looping font.
- Use a plain background behind the text. This will make it easier to read the individual letters, and increase contrast between the letters and the background.
Block lettering for festive typography
At the other end of the typography scale, you have block lettering. This is usually big bold letters that stand apart from one another. This can be an effective fit for Christmas, as it captures attention, and mimics the font styles used on Christmas cards and wrapping paper.
To make sure that you use block lettering effectively, you should consider:
- Filling the lettering with Christmas themed colours, images or patterns. This can really bring a sense of the season to your website, but it only works with a plain background, and clear company branding elsewhere.
- Using the lettering to create stunning above the fold content. Block lettering can easily capture attention, and to get the most out of this you should position it in an above the fold position.
Decorated typography for a festive theme
Decorated typography is not a particular style of typography. Rather, this is how you use the typography. Any style of font or lettering can be decorated with illustrations and images to add character and personality. At this time of year, there are several things you can do to use this design style on your website, including:
- Adding Christmas themed illustrations to the letters, including Christmas hats or stockings.
- Using festive colours for the lettering, as long as this wont clash with the rest of your web design.
- Using the letters themselves as images to spell out the title decoratively.
For more information or advice, get in touch with the professionals today here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester.