Here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester, we are Manchester’s leading web design professionals. We work with a variety of companies across Manchester, and the North West, including those in Blackburn and Chorley, to provide high quality web design solutions. As a result, we have produced this guide to everything you should know about using cut-out effect typography in web design.
What is cut-out effect typography?
Cut-out effect typography is a type of typography style that looks as though the letters have been cut out, so that the background is visible through each letter. This is usually used for bold, wide, sans-serif fonts, as these are easier to read and distinguish than script or handwriting fonts, when using this style of typography. And cut-out effect is usually only used for headings or titles, and not for other areas of text. This is because for a title, the cut-out effect can really stand out, while for the main body text, this would be difficult to read.
What are the advantages of cut-out effect typography for web design?
There are a number of advantages and benefits to using cut-out effect typography, and these include:
- Grabbing attention- because the background is visible through the shape of the letters, this type of typography is very effective at attracting attention and causing your potential customers or clients to pause, and really read your content. This can help to define your company and branding, and the unusual effect can help raise brand awareness.
- Generating interest- Because the cut out effect is more unusual for web design, this is sure to pique the interest of your website users, which could in turn lead to an increase in sales and sign ups.
- Company branding- cut-out effect typography can help to define your company branding, and establish your brand persona. This is because the colours and patterns of the background will be the first thing that your potential customers or clients see, and this will help to display your branding visually.
What are the considerations for using cut-out effect typography in web design?
If you are planning to use cut-out effect typography, there are a number of things to consider. These include:
- The style of the background- with cut-out typography, the background is the visual feature that most stands out, with the letters made up of the background itself. To make sure you achieve the right effect, you should choose a background that fits with your company branding, and uses company colours. You can also choose a plain or patterned background, or even a textured option, depending on your preference.
- The overlay colour- cut-out effect typography uses an overlay, on top of the background, from which the letters are cut out off. Choosing the right overlay colour is essential, as this needs to contrast with the background behind, while still suiting the style and design of your website.
For more information or for professional web design support, get in touch with the team today, here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester.