Here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester, we are Manchester’s leading web design experts. We work with companies and businesses across Manchester, and the surrounding area, including Wigan and Southport, to provide web design solutions that can help businesses grow. As a result, we have produced this guide to creating the right website icons for your brand personality.
What are the important considerations when designing icons for brand personality online?
Your company only has a limited opportunity to get your message across to potential customers or clients. And most of this opportunity is based on the website users response to the visual design of your website. Icon design can be a big part of this. So, how can your icons reflect your brand personality? Well, there are a number of important considerations to take into account. These include:
- The use of line- An icon on your website really doesn’t have much space or time to really stand out. So you need this to have the best possible impact, as soon as it is seen. And as many icons are simply an outline, you will need to consider how to use this to your advantage. You could consider:
- Bolder, dark lines- these can help give your website a more serious and mature theme, presenting your company as one that is reliable and trustworthy.
- Flowing fine lines- alternatively, flowing fine lines can provide a sense of character and fun that might be essential for building a strong, positive relationship with your potential customers or clients.
- Different colour lines- when you think of the outline for a website icon, you generally think of black. But you can use other colours to provide a more interesting visual effect, as long as you can generate enough contrast with the background for this to be easy to see on all devices and screen sizes.
- The use of colour- colour should be linked quite strongly to your company branding, and this will be a part of your brand personality. You can choose a background colour for your icon that contrast with the rest of the page, or one that complements it, depending on how much attention you want to draw to the icon.You can also use full colour icons, as well as the more common outline and fill designs. Choose colours that best work with your company logo, branding and overall web design for the best visual results.
- The overall design- watercolour style icons, to cartoon design, to more traditional symbols, there are a number of different design options for website icons. You should choose the option that most effectively reflects your company branding and brand personality. This will generally be in line with the rest of the imagery on your website, and the style of your logo.
For more information or for professional web design support, get in touch with the experts today, here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester.