If your website needs to use notification popups for marketing, sales information or general information, then these need to be well designed. Any potential customers often have to wade through a series of popups and notifications before they can access your website, including cookie notifications and any marketing related popups. As a result, the design and style of these is essential for retaining your potential customers and not driving them away to your competitors. So how can you make sure these are effective? Well, here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester, we are Manchester’s leading web design experts. We work across the North West, including Blackburn and Chorley, to provide top quality, effective web design solutions. As a result, we have produced this guide to everything you should know about the do’s and don’t of website notifications.
What are the important do’s and don’t of website notifications?
There are several important things that you should always DO when it comes to website notifications. These include:
- Using the right text based content- your users need to know what the notification is for, and why it is preventing them from using your website. The content you choose can make the difference between a positive response, and your user staying on your website, and a negative response with your bounce rate increasing as potentials customers leave. As a result, you should be sure to keep your text based content short, simple and easy to understand to help improve the user experience.
- Keeping the instructions clear- once the user has read the text based content, they will want to know how to act. Whether they just need to dismiss the notification, or to accept the cookie settings, the next steps for user action need to be clear and well defined. This can include ensuring the X button is easy to see, and easy to use, as well as using coloured button options in green and red, for positive and negative actions to take.
- Including company branding- its essential that your website users and potential clients or customers do not think that these notifications or popups are adverts or spam. To prevent this, make sure that your website notifications are well branded and make it clear and obvious that these are part of your website. Colour schemes, language style and typography can all help to establish your company branding on website notifications.
There are also several important DONT’s to bear in mind for your website notifications, including:
- Don’t use negative language- using phrases like “Act now or be a loser forever” are not an effective way to build a relationship with your customer base, and while some companies may try and use this, it comes across as aggressive and rude. Which is probably not the most favourable image for your company.
- Don’t forget to design responsively- responsive design also applies to popups and notifications too. There’s nothing worse than opening a mobile website and being unable to access the content because of a website popup that is too large to close or move. In fact, this is sure to result in a loss to sales and sign ups.
For more information or advice, or for high quality, professional web design solutions, get in touch with the experts today, here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester.