Web design is constantly evolving and changing. So staying up to date with the latest trends is important if you want your website to capture attention and stay relevant to your audience. One popular and current trend is to use isometric illustration. But what is this? And can it be useful? Well, here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester, we are Manchester’s leading web design professionals. We work across Manchester, and the North West, including Southport and Wigan , to provide effective web design solutions for companies and businesses. As a result, we have produced this guide to the advantages of isometric illustrations.
What are isometric illustrations?
So, first things first, what are isometric illustrations? Well, isometric illustrations are illustrations that are designed to look three dimensional. This is a natural progression from the flat design that has been popular in the last few years, and it means that the illustrated image really jumps out of the page at the viewer.
Advantages of isometric illustrations
Isometric design can be very effective, specifically at:
- adding depth to a background, icon or a logo design so that it stands out from the page and attracts attention. This can be enough of a distraction to direct the website users eye towards a piece of content or an image, that could increase sales and sign ups.
- adding clarity to the web design, as the illustrations look more realistic, so they cant be mistaken for anything else. This is especially effective for icon design, where the icon really needs to be a visual representation of what it is depicting
- aiding with visual hierarchy and controlling the browsing experience. Larger illustrations can be used to highlight the most important features or elements, and these can shrink in size as they shrink in importance.
Considerations for isometric illustrations
Isometric illustrations can be very effective, but you will need to bear in mind some key considerations. These include:
- isometric design can be too cartoony for some companies that will suit a more subtle approach to icon, background and other visual design
- its easy to overdo isometric design in that you can almost overdraw the illustration. The most effective illustrations are still those that are simple and straightforward. So try not to over-complicate things.
- stick to only one style for all illustration on the website. Dont choose flat design for the icons, but isometric design for the background because this will create visual conflict, which some users will find very off-putting.
Using isometric illustrations on your wessite
So, how can your website benefit form isometric illustration? Well, you could try:
- creating a new hero image or background using isometric illustration to cover the space. You will need to pair this well with the text element overlay, or include your text as part of the illustrated design, otherwise the effect will be too overwhelming.
- designing new icons in the isometric style using colours that fit with the company colour scheme. It can be easy to oversize isometric icons too, so keep them the same size as the previous icons you used.
For more information or advice about using illustration in web design, or for professional web design support, get in touch with Manchester’s leading web design experts today, here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester.