Here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester, we are Manchester’s leading web design professionals. We work with a variety of companies across Manchester, and the North West, including those in Blackburn and Chorley, to provide high quality web design solutions. As a result, we have produced this guide to everything you should know about image gallery design for website product pages.
Why should you use an image gallery for your products online?
There are a number of reasons why you should use an image gallery for online products. And these include:
- Building trust – the more high quality, high resolution images you use the more likely it is for your website users to trust the quality of the product itself. However, this doesn’t mean that you should go overboard on images, simply use a good selection of images showcasing the product from different angles, and even using scale to show size efficiently too.
- Using visual design- images can say far more about a product or item than words, and this can be very beneficial for website users that are looking to make a quick purchase without reading through the content. The images should be able to bring clarity about the product and also encourage website users to become paying customers.
What are the most effective options for product image gallery design?
There are a number of effective design options that can help your image gallery be more successful and effective. These include:
- Using a vertical thumbnail option- instead of using a grid for your thumbnail images under a main image, a vertical line will allow you to show small versions of the product image down one side of the page, leaving more room for the larger image, as well as the text based content. In general, this is a better use of the space available for both desktop users and mobile users.
- Using buttons with clarity- whether you opt to use in image buttons for scrolling between images, or instead using in image buttons to zoom or enlarge the image, the buttons should be clear and intuitive to your website users. Image galleries can be irritating or frustrating for some website users with less gallery experience, and so to make sure that this isn’t the case with your design, you should choose the most suitable interactivity method.
- Numbered images- when scrolling through product gallery images your website users should know what stage they have got to, and when they have reached the start of the cycle again. This can be achieved by simply numbering the images. For such a small addition, this can be very beneficial to the overall user experience, and may even increase sales.
- Zoom function- if possible, try and allow website users to zoom in on the images in the gallery so that they can see the close detail. This can make the difference between securing a sale or increasing your bounce rate.
For more information or for professional web design support, get in touch with the team today, here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester.