Mobile web design is key for any business to success online currently. This typically means simplifying processes and actions for ease of use on a much smaller screen size, and removing visual clutter for a stylish and professional design. One area where this is most important is the checkout process. Simplifying the checkout process for mobile websites is a key step to increasing sales and growing profits. But what should you consider? Well, here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester, we are Manchester’s leading web design professionals. We work with companies in a range of industries, across Manchester and the surrounding region, including Wigan and Southport, to deliver high quality web design solutions that really get results. As a result, we have produced this guide to everything you should know about mobile websites and the checkout process.
How can the checkout process be simplified for mobile websites?
Mobile websites can benefit from a simplified checkout process. This involves:
- Creating a single screen form that collects only the essential information
- Using visual feedback to indicate if each field has been filled in correctly
- Using error capture to show where any mistakes are
- Removing much of the visual content from the screen, as a simplified screen can be much easier for potential customers to use, and reduce the feeling of being overwhelmed
- Allowing form auto-fill options
What are the advantages of simplifying the checkout process for mobile websites?
There are a number of advantages to making the checkout process easier for mobile device users. These advantages include:
- Lowering the rate of cart abandonment- if the checkout process is too difficult, or the form options are too small and complicated, 9/10 of your mobile users will simply leave your website and try a different one. This can occur even after only a few seconds of trying to enter the details, or within a few seconds of the web page itself loading. Many mobile users are put off by long forms with tiny entry points that involve a lot of scrolling, and would rather check out the website of a competitor, or wait to use a desktop computer. This means losing out on many sales, right at the last minute. However, removing these barriers and simplifying the process can counter this and lead to your future success.
- Preventing entry errors- when you simplify the checkout process for mobile users you can reduce the risk of entry errors too. Forms that are too small for example can result in the wrong data being entered in the wrong field, which can result in many emails with customer support to correct this, taking up time from your daily activities. A simplified form can prevent this altogether.
- Lager buttons that are more spaced out- when simplifying the checkout page and process for your mobile users, part of this will involve creating larger buttons with more space between. This can prevent user error, as well as frustration, which usually occurs when your potential customers are forced to continuously hit two buttons at once, because they are too close together on the screen. This is simply poor mobile design. Using more space, and appropriately sized buttons however shows your website users that you are a professional company, and this can help to build trust.
For more information, or for professional web design support, get in touch with the experts today, here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester.