Here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester, we are Manchester’s leading web design experts. And we work with companies and clients around Manchester, and the surrounding region, including Wigan and Southport, to provide top quality web design solutions. As a result, we have produced this guide to everything you should know about user flow in web design.
What is user flow in web design?
User flow is all about the fluidity of the processes for your user. They should be able to naturally flow down your page to find any of the information they need, and understand which page they need to navigate to next. A good user flow will allow your website visitors to find what they need, and get results, quickly and easily. This means that you should:
- keep designs simple and easy to use
- include a navigation bar in a prime position
- keep forms simple and straightforward with one step at a time
What are the most common interruptions to the user flow?
If your user flow is interrupted, this tends to completely disrupt the browsing experience, and it can even be enough to result in your customers leaving your website completely. Interruptions to the user flow include:
- Website popups that need to be closed before the potential customer can continue browsing. While popups can be very effective, they are also very disruptive and add friction to the user experience.
- Errors in form entry. If these are not clearly indicated it can be very difficult for users to know what they have missed or filled in incorrectly and this can be frustrating. Frustration will quickly result in website visitors leaving your website and searching elsewhere.
- Cluttered screens. Too much information on one screen can be distracting and this can also make it very difficult for users to find what they need.
- Complicated processes. Sign up processes, or purchasing processes with too many steps can be incredibly complicated for your website users. And these users might not have the time, or the desire, to complete a range of unnecessary steps. Instead, they will simply leave your website.
What are the considerations for creating an effective user flow in web design?
When designing your website, the user flow should be something you pay close attention to. You should:
- Direct website users to what they need- look at your audience personas and plan to create a website that makes your users aims easy and achievable. This will cut down the interaction cost and help improve user experience over all.
- Identify points of friction- test the website thoroughly to identify and remove any points of friction that may emerge.
- Minimalism is effective- keep the design simple and straightforward
For more information or advice, get in touch with the professionals today, here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester.