Here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester, we are Manchester’s leading web design professionals. And we work with companies and clients around Manchester, and the surrounding region, including Wigan and Southport, to provide stunning and effective web design solutions. As a result, we have produced this guide to everything you should know about the effective options for using flat card design on your website.
What is flat card design?
Flat card design is a web design trend that involves using card style design elements, with pieces of content separated into separate rectangular or square card shaped areas. While card design has been popular for a while, the latest design trend involves creating these cards with a completely flat finish, and no 3D effects at all.
What are the effective options for using flat card design on your website?
When using flat card design for your website, there are a number of effective design techniques you can consider. These include:
- Animations and movements- for some websites, flat card elements are designed to move, bounce or otherwise animate when hovered over or selected. Of course, for mobile design the hover animation will not be appropriate, but this can be an enticing and rewarding experience for desktop and laptop users.
- Creating contrast- contrast between the cards themselves and the background is an important consideration. To reduce any potential 3D distractions, you should avoid using texture as the contrast, and instead consider colour to make a visual impact instead.
- Layout and structure- while card elements are often positioned in a grid design, or something similar, the layout is not restricted to this. Instead you can opt for asymmetrical layouts, or alternating layouts to increase the visual interest of the page, and help to define your company branding.
- Minimal design- flat card design is often best paired with minimal design features. For the cards themselves, this means that the content should be minimal. A background image or illustrated design, paired with a very small amount of easy to read text is possibly the best option. If you need the card to link to another page, the whole card should be the button or link, opening the new page when clicked. This is instead of adding a call to action button to the card itself, potentially cluttering the design space.
What are the advantages of using flat card design for websites?
There are a number of advantages and benefits to using this design style for any website. These advantages include:
- Defining your company branding- using this style of webdesign means streamlining content and really thinking about the important things on each card. As a result, you can easily define and establish your company branding.
- Making a statement- because flat card design is so different from standard card designs in use, you can really make a visual impact with your web design. This will grab the attention and interest of your website users, and can help increase sales and sign ups.
For more information or professional web design support, get in touch with the team today, here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester.