When it comes to shape in web design, rectangles and squares are usually the most common and prominent. Circles also have their place, usually as a call to action button, or a specific web design feature. But what about triangles? Triangles have become more popular in web design this year, and they can play an important role in any website. But what are the considerations for using triangles in web design? And can this bring any benefits? Well, here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester, we are Manchester’s leading web design experts. We work with companies and businesses across Manchester, and the surrounding area, including Wigan and Southport, to provide web design solutions that can help businesses grow. As a result, we have produced this guide to everything you should know about triangular shapes in web design.
How can triangles be used in web design?
Triangles can be used effectively to provide a range of web design solutions. This includes:
- Split screen design- any rectangular or square screen can be split into two prominent triangle shapes. This can make for an interesting and attention grabbing piece of above the fold content, especially when the two triangles are set up to contrast with each other.
- Call to action button- using a triangle for the call to action button can be effective, as the triangular shape can draw attention, while the shape of the point down can invoke user action.
- Above the fold design- the trend remains for above the fold content to use large typography overlaid on a plain, illustrated or image based background. And this means that using a triangular pattern, or a single triangular shape, in this above the fold area can be very effective. Because this contrasts with the other shapes used in the design, it can easily draw and attract attention.
- Icon backgrounds- using triangular icon backgrounds can be a good way to add interest and character to your website. This means that the icons can still fit your design scheme, and be consistent, but the triangular background can help generate contrast and visual interest too.
What are the advantages of using triangles in web design?
There are many benefits to using triangular shapes in web design. These include:
- Guiding the user eye- because triangles are naturally pointy, they can point user attention to particular areas of the screen. This can ensure that your users spend longer browsing your website, and don’t miss out on any valuable information.
- Creating visual contrast- the triangular shape can help to create contrast as this stands out from the other shapes used commonly in web design. As a result, you can draw attention to specific features or key pieces of content, just by using a triangular pattern or background.
- Modern design- geometric design is becoming increasingly popular for a range of high performing websites, and using a triangles throughout your website can help ensure your website meets user expectations, and the requirements of modern design.
For more information or advice, or for high quality, professional web design solutions, get in touch with the experts today, here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester.