Here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester, we are Manchester’s leading web design professionals. And we work with companies and clients around Manchester, and the surrounding region, including Wigan and Southport, to provide stunning and effective web design solutions. As a result, we have produced this guide to everything you should know about using wide lettering in web design.
What is wide lettering?
Wide lettering is a specific type of typography that uses letters with a higher than usual weight. These letters are wider than other fonts, and take up more space. Frequently, wide letters are also tall and over sized, but this doesn’t have to be the case.
What are the considerations for effective wide lettering?
If you want to make use of this style of typography for your website, there are a number of things to bear in mind. These considerations include:
- The purpose of the text- wide font is designed to grab attention and really own the space it is used in. For this reason, you should be sure that this is applied to the most important part of the text, above the fold, like the title or heading. Once the attention has been grabbed, your potential customers and clients are likely then to read the rest of the content too.
- The amount of text- wide font should only be applied to a few words or a headline, and nothing more than a sentence. This is because not only would too many words not fit on the screen as part of the above the fold content, but also the unusual visual design would not have the desired effect, if it was used too much.
- The size of the text- you should also consider the size of the text too. Wide lettering can take up more space than you might realize and this needs to be balanced with the rest of the on screen content. You will also need to think about responsive design, and how the font may need to change size when accessed from a mobile device.
- The background- when using wide text, the background content can be more difficult to see. For this reason, a plain background colour is often the best choice when combined with wide text.
What are the advantages of using wide lettering in web design?
There are a number of advantages to using wide lettering in web design. These advantages include:
- Grabbing attention- typography that uses wider lettering than normal is able to grab attention immediately, as soon as your page loads. This is because it takes up more space than standard typography.
- Establishing a strong brand identity- by using wide text, you can help to establish a strong brand identity that will set your company apart from the others and help to improve brand recognition.
For more information or professional web design support, get in touch with the team today, here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester.