Here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester, we are Manchester’s leading web design experts. We provide, high quality, effective, web design solutions for local companies and businesses across Manchester, and the surrounding area, including Wigan and Southport. As a result, we have produced this guide to everything you should know about heavy typography and the impact this can have on web design.
What is heavy typography?
Heavy typography is a style of typography that uses wider, “heavier” set letters to really occupy the space available. This style of typography can be used effectively for websites of all types and across a range of industries. This typography style is always filled too.
What are the design considerations when using heavy typography in web design?
When using this style of typography for your website, there are a number of important design considerations to take into account. These include:
- The legibility of the text- it is essential that this typography is easy to read on all screen sizes and devices. Some styles of heavy typography can be more difficult to read due to the wide nature of each letter, and the lack of finer design details for each letter. This should be avoided if your website is to make the biggest impact.
- The text spacing- using negative space between letters and words, as well as between lines of text can be very beneficial. This draws attention into the words, and allows each word to stand apart, making this easier to skim and scan. Because the text is larger than usual, the negative space may need to also be slightly larger than that used for smaller, narrower fonts.
- The text positioning and purpose- this style of typography should be limited to the above the fold content, and titles and subtitles, to have the maximum impact. This is because the font style can be more difficult to read, especially for larger pieces of text. At the same time, this can be attention grabbing, which makes it perfect for headlines.
What are the benefits of heavy typography in web design?
There are a number of advantages and benefits to using a heavy typography style throughout your website. These advantages include:
- Drawing attention- this style of typography is sure to draw attention and help your website attract and maintain interest from potential customers or clients. This can ultimately mean an increase in sales or sign ups.
- Company branding- this style of typography can be very effective for defining company branding and helping to emphasize this. You should consider what kind of message the typography style will present, and how this relates to your branding before making a typography choice.
For more information or advice, or for high quality, professional web design solutions, get in touch with the experts today, here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester.