Is your website text too small? Recently, a trend towards using larger font sizes for websites, has emerged. Which now means that the old, smaller sizes can feel just a little bit too small. So should you increase your font size? And what would be the advantages of increasing the font size? Well, here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester, we are Manchester’s leading web design experts. And we work with companies across the North West, from Southport to Wigan, to deliver web design solutions that will get results. As a result, we have produced this guide to the advantages of large text in web design.
Advantages of large text in web design
So why should you even think about adjusting your text size, and as a consequence, your layout? Well, here are some of the biggest advantages of large text in web design:
- Large text is easier to read- on a mobile device particularly, larger text is easier to read and skim through. This means that users will be more likely to actually stop and read, instead of simply scrolling past and looking for a relevant heading or image. As a result, there will be more opportunity for your persuasive content to work.
- Large text provides a better user experience- nobody want to be squinting at their mobile device, or having to zoom in to read content. In fact, the content needs to be easy to read from any angle, when considering mobile users. For a seamless, well integrated web experience for users, your desktop website should also adopt bigger text, for an improved responsive web design.
- Large text can be a feature- Instead of just resizing all of your text, why not consider restructuring it too? Design your website around key pieces of text and make your text a feature of your website. This will keep users interested and engaged throughout their time on your website.
Tips for using large text in web design
If you want to make sure your website looks stunning, and effective, with larger text, here are some key tips:
- increase your white-space to match- the space around your text, between letters and between lines is critical to making your larger text successful. With not enough space between and around words, the words can be difficult to distinguish, especially by a user who is just scanning your website.
- increase your hierarchy to match- hierarchy in web design is the act of making the most important feature the largest, and to rank the next features by size too. This helps to point out to users what the main purpose of your page is, and makes it easier for them to find relevant headings and subheadings. So if you increase the size of your body text, you need to make sure you scale up other headings and pieces of text to match. You might also need to consider the size of your captions.
- the font you choose- the font you choose will determine the readability of the text. So choose a simple font, with a regular stroke width and clean lines to make sure your content will be legible.
For more information or advice, get in touch with the experts today, here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester.