Here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester, we are Manchester’s leading web design and web marketing experts. We work across Manchester, and the North West, including Southport and Wigan , to provide stunning web design solutions for companies and businesses. As a result, we have produced this guide to everything you should know about choosing effective backgrounds for your website.
What are the considerations for effective backgrounds in web design?
To make sure you choose a background option that will be effective for your website, you should consider:
- Your target audience- what type of colours and images would be appealing to your potential customers? How can you blend these in the background of the web design?
- Colour schemes- if your company already had a colour scheme, you should either opt for one of these colours, or use a plainer, complementary colour to bring out your company colours and provide a blank canvas.
- Your brand persona– fun or serious, quirky or solemn, your brand persona is central to making the right decisions for your web design on the whole. In terms of the background, you need to choose an option that will suit your brands persona and your company character.
- Keeping it updated- once you’ve created the most suitable background, its easy to think the job is complete. But you really should stay on top of trends and developments, and use this to keep updating your whole web design, including your background.
What are the most effective background design choices for your website?
So what kind of options are available for the background of your website? Well, there are a variety of tried and tested methods that could suit your company or business. These include:
- Flat colour- one of the most popular background options is just a simple flat colour. This colour is designed to act as a blank canvas for the images of your products or services, and this can be incredibly useful for drawing attention to these key features.
- Illustration- over the past year, illustration has become more popular for the background designs of websites. The illustrated features add a quirky, playful and interesting element to a website, but even banking companies have been able to use this to their advantage. So serious and solemn brand personas can also use illustration effectively.
- Colour gradients- instead of a single flat colour, colour gradients blend one colour into another. These can be very effective when you choose two shades of the same colour, e.g. blue fading out to light blue, or when you choose two colours that are very close together on the spectrum, blue and green for example.
- Textured backgrounds- textured backgrounds have risen in popularity over recent years. The textures help to create a 3D effect, which draws attention to areas of high textural contrast. Wood grain, natural stone and fibres are just some of the textures that have been used effectively and successfully in web design.
- Floral backgrounds- floral design and natural themed backgrounds are also becoming more popular. These use flower based features to create a background that can really stand out. However, this won’t be a good fit for all companies or industries.
For more information or advice, get in touch with the experts today, here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester.