Designing your company or business website can be a tricky process, especially if you want to be sure of the best possible results. This means that each small detail is something that you should take time, care and consideration over. From the imagery and typography, to the style of the buttons, and the design of your icons, each part of a well designed website will work together. This includes the header. The website header can be an important and very effective part of any website. But what is it? And how important is a website header? Well, here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester, we are Manchester’s leading web design experts, and we provide high quality, effective, web design solutions for a range of local companies and businesses across Manchester, and the surrounding area. This includes Blackburn and Stockport. As a result, we have produced this guide to everything you should know about website headers.
What is a website header?
A website header is the bar that is positioned directly at the top of the page, above any other detail. This might be a different colour to the rest of the page, or it might be completely transparent to show a background hero image. Either way, utilizing your heading with practicality, efficiency and the user experience in mind, can be a key step to web design success.
How important is a website header?
So, how important is the header? And do you really need to plan the design? Well, the right header can help your website stand out and improve performance, by meeting the requirements and needs of your potential customers, immediately. In fact, your website header can bring a range of benefits including:
- Meet user needs- people landing on your website, especially if you provide a service, could be looking for your contact details, as quickly as possible. Providing these in the header of the page is a great way to predict the needs of your potential customers, and dramatically improve their user experience.
- Show off your company branding- a header is a great way to show off your company branding, immediately. Positioned at the top of the page, your logo will be the first thing your users see, and this really connects the rest of their experience with your brand.
- Support easy and quick navigation- Frequently, the navigation bar can be positioned as part of the header, and this makes it much easier for your potential customers to navigate your website, and find the pages and information they need. This can be in the style of a hamburger menu, or a fixed main menu. Some sites even include a search bar too, for specific search enquiries.
Key features of a header
To make sure your logo is effective, you should consider including:
- company name or logo
- contact details and opening details if applicable
- navigation bar
- search bar
- shopping cart icon
- sign in section if applicable
For more information or advice, get in touch with the experts today, here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester.