Here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester, we are Manchester’s leading web design professionals. From Wigan to Southport, we work with companies across Manchester and the surrounding region to deliver high quality web design solutions that really get results. As a result, we have produced this guide to navigation menus and mobile web design.
What are the potential concerns for mobile web design?
Mobile web design is a great way to make sure that your website works effectively for all your users, without limiting quality, or quantity of information. But it is not without its limitations, including:
- The screen size- using a smaller screen to show the same volume of information can be a challenge. Because all mobile devices have different screen sizes, this can influence the presentation of any imagery or media, as well as making the text appear smaller and more difficult to read. This is something you will need to plan for, and prevent, to achieve the best possible results.
- Loading time- mobile users tend to be more impatient than desktop users. This means that your mobile website will need to load quickly, and engage users attention immediately.
What are the important considerations for navigation menus in mobile web design?
So, when designing your navigation menu or bar, for a mobile website, it stands to reason that you will need to make some changes or tweaks to ensure that this is suitable for a mobile website. So what are the most important considerations for navigation menus and mobile web design? Well, there are several, including:
- Saving space on the screen- with only a small amount of screen available, you dont want to display a static navigation bar, which could be eating into important design room. Instead, you might consider a hamburger menu or a slide out menu, or a menu accessed by a menu icon.
- Animation effects- if you use a hover effect or animation on your navigation buttons on the desktop, you might want to remove these for the mobile website. This is because these will not work as effectively. The touch screen on a mobile device doesn’t really provide the option to hover on a button, and so your website will load code and an animation effects, that your users wont be able to use.
- Button size- finally, you should consider the size of the page options or buttons on your mobile website. If these are too small, your users will not able able to click on them using a mobile, but if they are too big, scrolling can become difficult.
- Method of use- mobile websites can be more innovative with the design of the navigation menu, using options like slide out menu screens and hamburger menus. This can help impress website users while also ensuring that the mobile navigation menu is user friendly and improves the user experience overall.
For more information or advice about professional web design solutions for your company, get in touch with the experts today, here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester.