Website fonts are an important design choice for any company or business. The right font can help promote and reflect your branding and company persona, while also drawing attention and delivering your important message. Condensed fonts are an unusual option that can be very effective for any website. But what should you consider when using condensed fonts in web design? Well, here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester, we are Manchester’s leading web design professionals. We work with a variety of companies across Manchester, and the North West, including those in Blackburn and Chorley, to provide high quality web design solutions. As a result, we have produced this guide to everything you should know about narrow or condensed fonts.
What is a condensed font?
A condensed font is a type of typeface that makes use of narrow and tall characters, with less space between characters. This creates a narrow visual effect that can allow your website to really stand out, and be more memorable.
What are the considerations when using condensed fonts in web design?
For condensed fonts to be effective in web design, there are a number of things to consider. These include:
- Preventing legibility issues
- Design styles
Preventing legibility issues with condensed fonts
In web design this style of font has a reputation for being cramped and difficult to read. This means that for mobile web design, condensed fonts can be a problem. As a result, thinking about the legibility issues should be a number one factor. You can help ensure that your condensed faults will be easy to read, on all screen sizes, by:
- Choosing the right colour combinations- the background colour and the font colour both need to be well chosen to allow the outline of each letter to be well defined.
- Increase the size- by increasing the size of the font slightly you can help each letter take up more space and be more commanding.
- Background design- a plain background design for a condensed title font can be most effective to ensure that the letters themselves feature as the prominent design feature, and don’t need to compete with a busy background design.
Design styles for condensed fonts
Condensed fonts are available in a number of different styles suitable for companies and branding with a range of personas and styles. From Gothic arched designs to more quirky, fun options, condensed fonts can compliment any brand. As a result you should choose the style of font that best represents your branding visually, and the style that best compliments the design of the website overall.
What are the advantages of condensed fonts in web design?
There are a number of advantages and benefits to using condensed fonts in web design. These include:
- Making a statement- condensed fonts are an unusual option and this means that they can be used to make a bold and unique visual statement. This is sure to help set your company apart and can even make a lasting impact.
- Suitable for mobile websites- when the considerations are taken into account when designing the condensed font, it can have an effective visual result for all screen sizes and devices. The narrow and tall style of the typography can even be better suited to mobile web design.
For more information or advice, or for high quality, professional web design solutions, get in touch with the experts today, here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester.