Here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester, we are Manchester’s leading web design experts. We work with companies and businesses across the North West, from Southport to Wigan, to deliver effective web design solutions. As a result, we have produced this guide to everything you should know about using typographical emphasis in web design.
What are the different types of typographical emphasis in web design?
There are a number of different types of typographical emphasis that can be sued very effectively in web design. These are often used for headline typography above the fold, to add something unusual or different to the design, and to help the web design stand out. These include:
- Using bold type- bold font can be used to emphasize one or two words in a phrase or short sentence above the fold.
- Using italics- italics has the same effect as the bold option but this has a more subtle visual effect.
- Using strike-through design- strike through design means using typography with a word or collection of words that have a line drawn through the middle. The text is usually still readable, but this can add an element of humour or intrigue.
- Using capitals- using typography in all capitals is a good way to keep text clear and legible, but for some design purposes you could decide to use all capitals for just one or two words, for emphasis. This is often combined with the bold design for additional effect. This however shouldn’t be overused.
What are the benefits of using different types of typographical emphasis in web design?
There are a number of advantages to using this type of design feature above the fold on your website. These advantages include:
- Attracting attention- using these typography options can help to turn a piece of plain text into something exciting and interesting. Above the fold, this can be a good way to attract the attention of your potential customers and clients, and to entice them to want to know more.
- Unusual style- using one or two typographical elements can help your sans-serif above the fold typography have more visual interest and this unusual style is more likely to be remembered by your customers and clients for return or repeat custom.
What are the important design considerations for typographical emphasis in web design?
There are a number of important design considerations when it comes to using typographical emphasis in web design. These include:
- Using a maximum of two- while some types of typographical emphasis combine effectively together, like using bold type and capitals, you should usually only use one option, and stick to this throughout the rest of your web design too. Too many uses of typographical emphasis will make your content look overwhelming and may decrease the legibility of your text.
- Consider your company branding- Make sure that the type of typographic emphasis you choose matches well with the company persona you wish to convey. For example, a bank or building society using the strike-through design may not look as professional as an italic design, while the strike through design would be more suitable for a fun, quirky company.
- The words you choose- when choosing which words to emphasize, make sure you understand the meaning and message this is sending to your customers and clients, and associate this with your company branding. Dont use this design style for no reason, instead make this count.
For more information about professional web design, get in touch with the experts today, here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester.