Here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester, we are Manchester’s leading web design experts. We work with companies and businesses across Manchester, and the surrounding area, including Wigan and Southport, to provide web design solutions that can help businesses grow. As a result, we have produced this guide to everything you should consider regarding decorative typography in web design.
What are the considerations when using typography as a decorative website feature?
There are a number of considerations to bear in mind when using typography as one of the main decorative design features for your website. This type of typography style is usually used above the fold, and replaces visual imagery and photography as the main feature to capture the attention and maintain the interest of your potential customers and clients. As a result, this typography needs to be top quality, and well branded, to achieve the right results. As a result, you should consider:
- The space available- if the typography is to be effective at grabbing attention, then it really needs to fill up the available space, without being overwhelming. Getting the balance right is key here. Stacked texts, calligraphy fonts, and over sized fonts can be a good way to utilize the space, but if you are looking for something more subtle, a smaller typography style can be used to focus the attention on one area of the screen.
- The background design- while a decorative typography style on a plain flat colour background can still be effective, a more decorative background can provide a visual design boost. Backgrounds with small elements of contrast, texture or pattern can allow the typography style to take centre stage, without overshadowing the design of the typography or font.
- The branding- for any piece of content above the fold, the branding is one of the key things to consider. And this is the same for the decorative typography. The branding should be one of the top priorities when deciding on a typography style, colour scheme, and even the placement. Make sure that the typography you choose reflects the company persona that you want to present.
What are the benefits of using decorative typography?
There are a number of benefits to using decorative typography as the main design feature above the fold. These benefits include:
- Keeping a minimalist approach- if you are creating a minimalist website, using typography as the main design feature above the fold can be a great way to reduce visual clutter, and streamline your design. The typography itself will attract attention, and this wont rely on imagery that can be potentially visually heavy.
- Refreshing your web design- if you are looking for a quick and easy way to refresh your web design, taking a decorative typography approach can be the best option. As long as you consider the important factors outlined above, you can create a fresh new look or your website, in just a few simple steps. This can help to build consumer trust, as your potential customers and clients can see that your website is up to date with recent trends, and exudes professionalism.
For more information or advice, or for high quality, professional web design solutions, get in touch with the experts today, here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester.