Sidebars are pretty much a thing of the past for landing pages on websites. Especially now that minimalist design, and grid design is so popular. But while they might not take centre stage anymore, there is still an area of your website what could benefit from the addition of a sidebar. This is the blog section. Creating unique, relevant and original content on a regular basis is a great way to help your website climb the search engine results page, and as a result, attract more traffic. This content is usually stored and organised in a blog section. And this is where a sidebar could be very useful. But what should be included in your blog sidebar? And how should this be designed? Well, here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester, we are Manchester’s leading web design experts. We create stunning web design solutions, for businesses and companies across the North West. This includes Southport and Wigan. As a result, we have produced this guide to everything you should know about creating an effective blog sidebar.
What should be included in your blog sidebar?
So, first of all, what should be included in your blog sidebar? Well, you should consider including:
- A search bar- the most important thing to include is probably a search bar. If people want to know something in particular, related to a certain topic, a search bar can help them find it quickly and easily.
- Categories- separating your blog topic areas into different categories can make it easy to include a list of relevant categories in the sidebar. This is potentially easier for the user than a search bar, but they might not notice the topic they are looking for. So providing both options is a great idea.
- Most recent blogs- including a list of links to your most recent blogs can be a good idea, as this will help previous users find an article they might have seen recently, without needing to search.
- Social media links- if these don’t appear at the top of the page, or on your blog content, it is important to position these prominently on your side bar, so that they catch the eye and are more likely to be selected by your website users. Social media can help make your company and website seem more trustworthy and reliable.
- Video content- adding video thumbnails in the sidebar can be a great way to generate interest in your video content, which will help keep your website users interested and engaged for longer.
Advantages of using a sidebar on your blog
So, why should you decide to add a sidebar to your blog? Well, doing so can bring a range of advantages, including:
- More useful for the user- a sidebar can contain a number of details that can help the user find what they are looking for, quickly and easily. This all helps to create a positive user experience, which can increase sales and sign ups.
- Structure and organisation- the structure and organisation can be useful for yourself, as it can help to show which categories you have covered in detail. and which ones need more work. As a result, you will create a more balanced body of information and content.
For more information or advice, get in touch with the team today, here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester.