Calligraphy is a type of decorative handwriting that can look more like art than real handwriting. With flowing strokes, and unique flourishes, calligraphy style typography can be unique and personal for your website. And bringing a personal touch to your web design can be a great option for emphasizing your company persona and branding. But it can also be difficult to read, and this could increase confusion for your website users, and definitely increase misunderstandings. So, could a calligraphy style font transform your website? Or should you avoid this design trend? Well your choice will depend on a range of individual factors relating to your own company, and your own branding. And calligraphy can be a great choice, as long as it is used with consideration to your website users, and their needs. Here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester, we are Manchester’s leading web design professionals. From Wigan to Southport, we work with companies across Manchester and the surrounding region to deliver high quality web design solutions that really get results. As a result, we have produced this guide to everything you should know about calligraphy fonts and unique typography.
Using calligraphy style fonts in web design
When using any unique font, there are some factors to consider, including:
- Positioning- calligraphy fonts should only be used as the main heading of the page, because this is the place where font can be large enough to be understood and read clearly. Anywhere else, and you run the risk of your words blurring into one unreadable mass, that can be overwhelming for your website users. But as a main heading, a calligraphy style font can stand out and grab attention.
- Sizing- for calligraphy fonts with lots of strokes, swirls and loops, its a good idea to go big with the sizing. This will make it easier for your website users, and prevent any future misconceptions of misunderstandings.
- Colour- the colour you use for the background, and the font itself, will determine the level of contrast between the writing and the background. For calligraphy, you will need a good amount of contrast to really help the individual letters stand out, increasing readability.
Could a calligraphy style font transform your website?
Calligraphy font can be used effectively as part of your web design, and this could bring a range of benefits. These include:
- Adding a personal touch to your web design- in a world of corporate design, individual flair can be refreshing and honest. And this can even be enough to attract the attention of your audience, and really draw them into your website. Individuality also makes your company as a whole, easier to trust. This is because companies with a clear personality, appear professional and reliable.
- Creative and unusual- if being creative, fun, innovative and engaging is important to your company brand, calligraphy style font can offer all of this and more. Being creative itself, calligraphy can add a new dimension to your web design, and emphasize your inventiveness.
- Stylish and elegant- if you want something more subtle, stylish and mature, calligraphy can also be useful. It doesn’t have to be all about the unusual nature of the font. Instead you can use a font with a thicker, bolder brush stroke for something more serious, to suit your company branding.
For more information or advice about professional web design solutions for your company, get in touch with the experts today, here at Pumpkin Web Design Manchester.