If you are a company or business looking to sell products online, then there are a number of things you will need to think about. From the landing page web design to the images, video content and written content, every part of your website should be geared towards selling your products, and providing valuable, persuasive information to your website users and potential customers. A key part of this will be your written content, especially the product descriptions themselves. So why should you put additional effort into this part of your website? And what are the advantages of effective product descriptions? Well, here at Pumpkin Web Design, we are Preston’s leading web design and web marketing professionals. We provide valuable web design, SEO, and marketing solutions to a range of clients, across the North West, including Southport and Wigan, as well as Manchester. As a result, we have produced this guide to everything you need to know about creating effective product descriptions.
What are product descriptions?
Online, a product description refers to the content used on each individual product page, to give information and details to your potential customers. This generally appears alongside any image or video content and depending on the product itself, can make use of different sections for categorizing information, including:
- Details- this section should provide more detailed information about the product, what it can be used for and what it is compatible with (where appropriate)
- FAQ’s- this section should aim to provide answers to any questions that your potential customers might have, helping to sway their purchasing decision
- Product specification- this section should provide key details such as size, dimensions and weight of the product, so that your customer know what they are buying
- Customer reviews- this should be dedicated to showing honest and genuine reviews from previous customers
What are the advantages of effective product descriptions?
An effective product description can bring a range of advantages including:
- Increasing sales- if your product description is written well, you can be sure that more people will be persuaded to buy your product and this can make a big difference to your profits. However, this also requires every other page of your website to be top notch too, to funnel potential customers towards your product pages.
- Provide customers with important information- another benefit of effective product descriptions is that your users will know exactly what they are purchasing. For example, the product specification can outline sizes and dimensions as well as weight, which may be a crucial factor when your potential customers are trying to decide what to purchase. The quality of the information provided by the product description can reduce any customer confusion, and decrease the opportunity for negative feedback left by disgruntled customers who may have purchased something without being fully aware of what to expect. It can also lead to an increase in positive customer reviews too.
For more information or advice, or for professional web marketing and web design, get in touch with the team here at Pumpkin Web Design.