Here at Pumpkin Web Design we are Preston’s leading web design and web marketing professionals. We provide a wide range of website solutions and SEO services across Preston and the North West, from Southport to Wigan, and even Manchester, and we work with a wide range of companies and businesses, in a variety of sectors. As a result, we have produced this guide to everything you should know about local search results for small businesses.
What are local search results?
Local search results are the websites displayed on the Search Engine Results Page (SERP), after a service or product has been searched for, in a particular area. For example, searching for plumbers in Preston, or an electric bike in Manchester, will lead to a specific set of search results relevant to both the service or product, and the location.
Personalization and changes to local search results
Now that search results are fully personalized, these local results will happen automatically, whenever someone searches. So instead of needing to specify an area, local services and products available in a close geographical area to the searcher, will be shown at the top of the results page. This only works however when the search engine has access to your location of course. This means that people in your area, even those passing through, will be shown results relevant to this location, which could include your website, and your company.
What do local search results include?
Local search results change the results page in a few different ways, including:
- Maps- at the very top f the results page a map of the surrounding area will be shown, with the locations of relevant businesses highlighted.
- Ratings- if your previous customers have left ratings or reviews on Google My Business, this will be shown underneath the business entry, as part of the map feature.
- Contact details- by clicking on a local listing the searcher will open a new screen with more information about the business including the website address and contact details, as well as the testimonials in full.
Why are the local search results important for small businesses?
So, just how important are these local search results? And why should you be trying to secure a top position? Well, there are a number of reasons, including:
- Maps- If searchers are using Google or Bing to find a local service, the first results will be those attached to a map of the local area. This is incredibly helpful for potential customers who are out and about, as it provides directions and contact details immediately. Register your business with Google My Business, or Bing places, to make life easier for your potential customers, and to potentially make more sales and sign ups.
- Trust- Business listings with Google and Bing doesn’t just help your customers, it also builds trust. Trust is essential if new customers are to order with your company, or choose your services. A company with a registered address, and a map, is much easier to trust than a company without. The local search will also shows reviews about your company too, which can be a key factor when building consumer trust.
- Sense of community- When users click through to your website, from the search results, and they see that your company is not too far away, this actually fosters a sense of community. And this can be enough to compel customers to make a purchase, instead of just browsing, or looking elsewhere.
For more information and advice about web marketing, get in touch with the experts today, here at Pumpkin Web Design.
Why not join us on instagram to see what we really get up to...