Here at Pumpkin Web Design we are Preston’s leading web design and web marketing professionals. We provide a wide range of website solutions and SEO services across Preston and the North West, from Southport to Wigan, and even Manchester, and we work with a wide range of companies and businesses, in a variety of sectors. As a result, we have produced this guide to everything you should know about content structure and SEO.
What is content structure?
Content structure is the structure of the page itself. From the header h1 tag at the top, to the subheadings further down the page, and the images used within the content, structuring all of this information in a logical and thoughtful way can be beneficial for your website. Many companies use a hierarchical structure which involves positioning the the more important pieces of content at the top, to ensure that they get the most attention. For blog content and content marketing in particular, the structure of the content can play an important role. But how important is this role for SEO?
What are the advantages of content structure?
There are a number of advantages to structuring your content carefully and in line with search engine protocols. These advantages include:
- Improving user experience- a better website structure allows your website users and potential customers and clients to quickly search through your content to find the information that they are looking for. This ensures they have a better experience on your website, and can increase sales and sign ups.
- Making content more approachable- when faced with a wall of text, many of your website users will be unimpressed. But if this is broken up into manageable chunks with effective and relevant imagery, the content can be more likely to be read.
- Making it easier for search engine crawl bots- structuring your content makes it easier for search engines to categorize your content and position this as a relevant result to the right search terms.
Why is content structure not enough for SEO?
While structuring your content properly can bring a number of advantages, it is not the only thing that matters. In fact, a good content structure is not guaranteed to lead to a good ranking position. There are a number of factors involved in this including:
- The quality of the content- content that is well structured but empty of meaning or value is not likely to rank highly, even if it meets all of the structured content guidelines. This is because the quality of the content is often more important than the structure or presentation of this. So to ensure SEO success you need to focus on both aspects.
- Unique content- content that you create for your website needs to be completely unique, even if this is well structured. This is one of the most important things that Google takes into account when ranking websites, so make sure that your content is consistently unique to improve SEO results.
Overall, structuring your content should be something that works hand in hand with your content marketing strategy, to ensure that your high quality content pieces are well presented. Structure alone is often not enough.
For more information about SEO, traffic, content marketing and web design, get in touch with the experts today, here at Pumpkin Web Design.