Making sure your business succeeds online is about more than just creating a top quality website and some social media profiles. You also need to make sure you are creating original, relevant content, and are focusing on Search Engine Optimisation (SEO), especially for local businesses. This should include optimising your Google My Business profile. But what exactly is this? And how can you improve your Google My Business profile? Well, here at Pumpkin Web Design, we are Preston’s leading web design and web marketing professionals. We provide valuable web design, SEO, and marketing solutions to a range of clients, across the North West, including Southport and Wigan, as well as Manchester. As a result, we have produced this guide to everything small businesses need to know about Google My Business (GMB).
What is Google My Business?
GMB is a free tool, provided by Google, for businesses and organisations to provide important business information, and manage their online presence. This can improve the search results, the local search results, and even get your business marked firmly on Google Maps. Considering that Google has more than 90% of the internet search traffic, securing high rankings and quality results on this search engine, is a good way to help your company succeed online. And GMB is the tool you need to get started.
GMB allows businesses too:
- Claim the business property on Google maps so potential customers can locate you immediately
- Provide important information like opening hours, availability, and contact details, so users have what they need immediately, without even accessing your website
- Show off business and customer photographs
- Be reviewed by customers and clients publicly
How to improve your Google My Business profile
So how can you improve the GMB profile so that this drives traffic to your website, and increases sales and bookings? Well, you could consider:
- Encouraging reviews- the more positive reviews you secure directly on the GMB profile, the better. If your company is seen as a professional, leading authority, then it will be more likely to secure the top search result spot, while at the same time, helping potential customers build trust.
- Respond to negative reviews- if a customer or client leaves you a negative review, respond to this professionally. Too many companies ignore reviews altogether, but this isn’t a good strategy. Especially for a negative review. Address their complaint, and try and end on a positive note. This will help any other potential customers view your company as trustworthy.
- Add more photos- photographs are an important tool for building trust with your potential customers. The more high quality, professional photos you include, the better. In fact, Google reported that businesses using photos on GMB receive more than 40% more requests for driving directions and 35% more click-throughs to their websites.
- Keeping information up to date- GMB can help you display important pieces of information. You need to make sure that these are kept up to date, so that you users get the current, relevant information they need.
For more information and advice about web marketing, get in touch with the experts today, here at Pumpkin Web Design.